ROSALYND JOHN'S WINNING WELSH CAKE RECIPE
The grand prize winner of our first annual Welsh Cake Bake-Off Contest in 2017, we asked Rosalynd to share her Mam’s prize winning recipe, in honor of St. David's Day:
1 lb of self-raising flour
8 oz of sugar
1 stick of Blue Bonnet margarine
1 stick of butter
A pinch of salt
"About" 3 eggs
Dollops of ❤️
- Beat eggs in bowl, set aside.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Add in - at first - 2 1/2 eggs. If it is too dry add the rest. If you put it all in initially it may be too wet.
- Add flavoring to taste: cinnamon, nutmeg, currants, cranberries, lemon, orange, whatever takes your fancy!
- If you use a 2 1/2” cutter, this recipe will make about 40 cakes0
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WELSH CAKE BAKE OFF WINNER ROSALYND JOHN!
Immediately following our June worship service we conducted our first annual Welsh Cake Bake Off Challenge, where there were a total of fourteen entries in two categories! The judges were Dr. Rev. Matthew P. Harrington and Simon Owen-Williams, who chose Rosalynd John's Welsh cakes for both the tradition and non-traditional categories! The overall winner was her non-traditional lemon blueberry Welsh cakes, which had the judges swooning!